Monday 16 August 2010

No, I don't deal with crooks

In reply to someone who wants to supply Pin-Up Parade:

Hi Xxxxxxx,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Unfortunately it's impossible for me to work out what your items look like as you have used other people's photos for your own listings. As you will have noticed, I stock Bettie Page Clothing, so I can spot a photo of their Captain dress a mile off, and I also recognise their photo of Bernie Dexter (which BPC would have paid Bernie and Levi to photograph) in *their* petticoat, because when I sold *their* petticoat, I used that very photo.

So no, I'm not interested in dealing with someone who rips off other people's designs and tries to pass them off as their own. I couldn't possibly trust you, for one thing, and secondly, I have stocked BPC for several years and have built up a relationship with them - I couldn't morally deal with a company who was stealing their designs and imagery.

I'm not sure how to sign off because I don't wish you 'kind regards' at all.

Helen.

6 comments:

In The Heyday said...

Gosh! Well said. Real creativity needs to be protected and nurtured, so as one business to another, thanks for standing your ground and telling them where to get off.

Helen Highwater said...

It's disgraceful! And I'd keep an eye on them, if I were you, because you might be next! I may as well name and shame:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/violavintage

Straight Talking Mama! said...

This kind of thing really get's my goat! I mean don't get me wrong there are always generic 50's style dresses or stuff like that but ripping off other designs for your own profit, grrrr!

Helen Highwater said...

It's soooooo naughty.... :(

LollyWillowes said...

Gosh, I had looked at their stuff and liked it, but too expensive for me, hadn't realised they were up to no good! Just goes to show. Been sharing it with people too in all innocence.

Helen Highwater said...

I suppose, if I was being charitable, I would assume that they weren't aware that copying other people's designs and using their photos to do so isn't allowed....